Moving & Registering To Vote


Moving & Registering To Vote

Yes; you can certainly vote after a recent move, but you may need to update your voter registration with your local election office. Read these frequently asked questions to learn more.

No. If you move within your existing county, you must complete a new voter registration form to update your new address. If you move to a different county or state, you must re-register with your new county and/or state. To find this information, visit your state election office’s Web site.

State election laws differ regarding who can assist voters and under what circumstances. You will need to contact your local election office for the district where your father legally resides (not where you reside). The election office can advise you on what a POA is or is not permitted to do on behalf of a registered voter.


No. You must contact the state board of elections, for California, at 800-345-8683,  to let them know you are registered to vote in PA and remove your name from the CA registration.

No.  You can only be registered to vote in one state and that would be your primary residence.

To change your party you must complete #7 (Choice of Party) on the voter registration form and mail it to your designated election office (the addresses are at the bottom of the voter registration form).
For access to the voter registration form, for your state,  please go to, under "Voter", go to "Contact your state", select your state, hit "Go", select your state election office and select your voter registration form on that page. 

FVAP serves absent and military and overseas citizen voters. If a voter is registering to vote locally, he or she will need to do so directly through their election office.

Go to our website /voters/register-and-vote-in-your-state/, scroll down and select the state you are registered to vote in; go to that website and contact the board of elections for this information.  On this website you may also be able to look up your voter registration information where you may be able to find your voter registration number.
You must contact your local state board of elections. Go to /voters/register-and-vote-in-your-state/, scroll down (on the left) find your state, go to that website and contact the board of elections for this information.

Since we are so close to election day please have your son contact the state of Maryland board of elections at (410) 269-2840 to see if he can vote by absentee ballot in the general election on Nov. 6th. 

If your son's permanent residence is now in Colorado he must do an address change and remove his name from the Maryland voter registration rolls.  Please contact the state of Maryland's board of elections first so that he can find out how he can vote in the general election.

For information on your FPCA form, please contact the Federal Voting Assistance Program (FVAP) at (800) 438-8683. You will find a copy of the FPCA form at:

You must contact your local state board of elections to change your name on your voter registration.  Please go to our website /voters/register-and-vote-in-your-state/, go to the state you are registered to vote in and contact the elections division for that state.  You may still have time to make this change online, but it is best to check with the elections board first.

National Voter Registration Act

The National Mail Voter Registration Form consists of four parts: 

  • The Application
  • The General Instructions
  • The Application Instructions
  • The State Instructions 

Any U.S. citizen residing in the 50 United States or the District of Columbia may use this form, with the following exceptions:

North Dakota, Wyoming and U.S. territories (Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands, American Samoa and Guam) do not accept this form. New Hampshire accepts the form only as a request for an absentee ballot.

Uniformed service members and overseas voters should not use this form to register to vote. Instead, they should fill out the Federal Post Card Application, available at

If you are voting for the first time in your state and are registering by mail, Federal law may require you to show proof of identification the first time you vote.  This proof of identification includes the following (or if voting by mail, a COPY of the following):

A current and valid photo identification; OR
A current utility bill, bank statement, government check, paycheck or government document that shows your name and address.

Federal law does not require you to show proof of identification at the polling place or when voting by mail if (1) you provided COPIES of the above with your National Mail Voter Registration Form; (2) your voter registration form has been verified by an election official; or (3) you are entitled by federal law to vote by absentee ballot.  Please note that individual states may have additional voter identification requirements.

You need to mail in only the one-page application.

If you feel your registration form was unjustly rejected, contact your local election official. You may also contact the voting section of the Department of Justice at (800) 253-3931, or your state’s Attorney General’s office.

Make sure you fill in all information requested in the form completely, accurately and legibly. Place it in an envelope, and affix the proper amount of postage to it.

After you’ve submitted your registration form, you should receive a confirmation that you are registered within a few weeks. If you do not receive a confirmation, call your local election office before the registration deadline approaches to confirm you are registered. 

Yes. States that accept the National form will accept copies of the application printed from the computer image on regular paper stock, signed by the applicant, and mailed in an envelope with first class postage.

Registration Form, you may want to furnish a supply of only the voter registration applications either, printed on card stock according to the FEC specifications, or produced on 8.5' x 11’ regular weight paper. Be sure to include envelopes with the regular weight applications. The General and State Instructions could then either be photocopied and handed out with each application, or enlarged and posted at the registration site.

No. Voter registration groups may make as many copies of the National Mail Voter Registration Form as they would like. Furthermore, there is no limit on the number of completed forms a voter registration group may submit to local election offices. However, voter registration groups should endeavor to institute quality control measures to make sure each completed registration application they deliver to their local election offices is filled in completely and legibly.

It's also worth noting that the number of Voter Registration Forms that a state distributes is usually at the discretion of the state's chief election official. Many states base the number of forms they distribute on the size of the target population of the proposed registration drive, method of distribution, number of individuals registered by the organization in any previous voter registration drive and a number of other variables. 

An organization may mail completed Voter Registration Applications to the appropriate election office(s) individually or in a bundle. The Department of Justice interprets the cost of first class postage to fall into the realm of "facilitating" voter registration, and not as an attempt to induce an individual to register to vote by giving something of value, which would be prohibited by the "vote buying" provisions of the Voting Rights Act.

How to become an election worker in your state.

For information on becoming an election worker please contact your local state board of elections. 

Prince George's
1100 Mercantile Lane, Suite 115A
Largo, MD 20774
Alisha Alexander, Election Director
301-341-7391 (Fax)

Can't find what you are looking for?

Ask a question about Voters